This vegan shortbread with chocolate vegan ganache is a rich and decadent dessert. The vegan ganache layer is thick and creamy, for total chocoholics.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
I don’t like to be skimpy.
With my chocolate frosting. The thicker the better.
The frosting, people!
Okay before this turns non-PG, let’s focus on this easy shortbread recipe.
As you might now know, I like really simple recipes. It’s fun to sometimes spend a whole day in the kitchen, and that’s what I used to do as the owner of my bakery. But even then, I liked to simplify recipes. There’s a whole lotta delicious food that can be made easier. I’m hoping to share these recipes so that more people will try baking and cooking at home more often than eating out or buying treats out. Which brings us to this easy shortbread recipe!
For these shortbread bars, you mix together a handful of ingredients, press the vegan shortbread cookie base into a rectangle baking pan, and bake. Naked, without the vegan ganache layer which doesn’t get baked. When the shortbread bars come out of the oven and are cooling, that’s when we make the yummy chocolate vegan ganache.
Chocolate vegan ganache
It is so good you will want to have spoonfuls of it by itself. Go for it. This recipe makes lots so there will still be lots of chocolate ganache left for the vegan shortbread bars.
I let my husband and toddler lick the bowl of chocolate in the evening when I made these shortbread bars. And then got a toddler who wouldn’t go to sleep. No surprise there, but sometimes you’ve got to bend the rules a little and let your toddler have chocolate even at inappropriate times.
Vegan shortbread crust layer:
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup granulated sugar, cane sugar, coconut sugar, white sugar
- 8 oz vegan butter, =1 cup butter/225 grams
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Chocolate vegan ganache layer:
- ½ cup milk of choice
- 1 lb chocolate chips, ~ 2 2/3 cups
- 4 ounces coconut oil, ~1/2 cup oil/115 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In food processor (or with fork or pastry cutter), mix flour, oats and ½ c sugar. Cut in 8 oz vegan butter until crumbly. Press mixture firmly into 9x13” pan lined with parchment. Bake for ~20-25 minutes or until light golden. Put aside and work on chocolate layer.
- In a microwave or in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water (my preferred way), melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil, stirring frequently. Stir in the ½ cup milk until smooth. Pour this luscious chocolate ganache all over the shortbread crust and spread with a knife or the back of a spoon. Chill for 1-2 hours or until set.
- Cut into 12 large square bars, and then cut each bar in half to make 24 triangles. These vegan shortbread bars are very rich!!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
***** Feel free to pin this post to save it for later!