This easy vegetarian lasagna recipe is cheesy, comfort food goodness. A truly frugal recipe, we use a few smart shortcuts to save time with the end result being an easy dinner that is kid-approved.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Apparently I have gotten over my lifelong resistance to making lasagna. It wasn’t even anyone’s birthday this time! After developing an easy meat lasagna recipe that I actually like making, I thought I’d try my hand at an easy vegetarian lasagna recipe. My toddler who used to be pretty easy to feed has been having some pickier stages with food, so I’m happy to have a dinner meal that is packed with veggies that she will eat.
A few shortcuts that make this a truly easy vegetarian lasagna recipe:
To save time, use your favorite jar of tomato sauce. If you want, sub 3 cups of your own sauce if you make your own.
Use oven-ready lasagna noodles. They don’t need to be boiled before going in the oven so this eliminates that step and saves time.
You can buy shredded mozzarella and shaved parmesan. To save money, shred the cheese yourself.
Related post: 10 Cheap Meal Ideas That You’ll Want to Make Again and Again.
Lasagna, especially vegetable lasagna, can be a very frugal recipe because it makes so many servings, and most of the ingredients are inexpensive. This easy vegetarian lasagna recipe doesn’t take only 10 minutes to whip up, but it is insanely delicious and makes a lot of food. For our family of three, this will last us 3-4 dinners with a big salad on the side. Cook once, get three dinners – yay!
I like to chop all the vegetables the day before I make this vegetarian lasagna. This helps it feel like a quicker and easy vegetarian lasagna recipe because everything is ready for you to cook and assemble.
Let’s make this!
- 12 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 jar tomato sauce, around 3 cups
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil, coconut oil or any vegetable oil you like
- 2 eggs
- 1 container ricotta, 15 oz
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, =7oz/200 grams
- 1 cup grated or shaved parmesan cheese, ~around 2 oz
- First we will cook the veggies. Put the vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium heat. When it's warm add the chopped onion. Cook the onions stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn, until the onion turns translucent, around 10 minutes.
- Add in the chopped red pepper and zucchini. Cook another 10 minutes until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the tomato sauce.
- For the cheese layer, mix the eggs, ricotta, parmesan, and salt in a bowl. Put aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Time to assemble. Put a few spoonfuls of the veggie/tomato sauce into the bottom of a rectangle (9x13") lasagna dish.
- Add 4 no-boil lasagna noodles to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the noodles and sprinkle with 1/3 the shredded mozzarella. Top with 1/3 of the veggie/tomato sauce.
- Another another layer of 4 noodles, the rest of the ricotta cheese mixture, 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella, 1/3 of the veggie/tomato sauce.
- Add the last 4 noodles, the rest of the veggies/tomato sauce, and top with the rest of the shredded mozzarella.
- Cover loosely with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
—–> Share this post!
Do you ever make vegetable lasagna or are you currently a lasagna-phobe like I was?